When people think about backpacking, it often get along with South East Asia and even more often with Thailand. When travelling the world, we like to visit more than only one country at once, that’s why we decided to visit also a small part of Cambodia. If you are looking for an amazing backpacking experience, our top 10 things to do in Thailand and Cambodia is here to help you!
Here is our top 10 things to do:
1. Being amazed by the beauty of the Angkor Temples in Cambodia
Angkor Temples are one of the Seven Wonders of the World and you will understand why while visiting it! The site is huge and the temples are so beautiful.
2. Visiting the crazy Wat Long Khun temple in Chiang Rai
We all know what do the temples look like in Thailand. However, this one has a so special architecture that it has to be on your itinerary!
3. Learning more about the history of Cambodia
4. Taking the night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
Taking the train is the best way to travel in Thailand. What is amazing with this train? It takes you in the middle of the jungle and it just feels out of this world!
5. Visiting many temples in Bangkok and the Giant Golden Buddha
Even though Bangkok is a huge city, it has also a lot of historic temples to offer and you will learn a lot about Thailand’s history!
6. Tasting great food like Khmer Amok in Cambodia or curry or mango sticky rice in Thailand
There is nothing to add… We all know that Thai food is excellent and the best place to try it is in its home country!
As a matter of fact, Cambodian food is also extremely tasty and delicious.
7. Attending a ladyboy show
That is something you will for sure not see in your country!
PS: it’s not me on the picture 😉
8. Having lunch in a floating market near Bangkok
Floating markets are the best place to enjoy a Thai lunch and taste fresh products! You can find pretty anything in these kind of markets and that’s what make them so special!
9. Enjoying an amazing sunset over the islands in the South of Thailand
The Thai islands are so beautiful and there are so many of them that, for sure, you will find one that will suit you!
10. Getting a massage in Chiang Mai
Thai massage are feeling so great and will make you feel so relaxed! What’s best? They are so cheap that you would like to spend the entire day there.
- When crossing the border from Thailand to Cambodia, if you need to get a visa, be careful of fake borders. Tuktuks will most likely drive you to a fake border and they will ask you to pay more than the official one…
- If you want to visit the Angkor temples, we strongly advise you to book a tuktuk in Siem Reap the day before you plan your visit. Don’t be too lazy and wake up super early to discover Angkor at sunrise: there will be less people and watching the sun rising behind Angkor Wat is purely breathtaking.
- If you feel sensitive, avoid visiting the prison and the killing field in Phnom Penh the same day. It is mentally very difficult to experiment these two sites as you should be ready to see bones going out of the ground and a small temple full of skulls…